ARROZ CON GANDULES
Extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp
Sofrito 2/3 cup
Country ham, chopped 2/3 cup
Rice, white parboil 4 cups
Chicken, Swanson stock (or broth) 6 cups
Sazon con achiote y culantro 2 packets
Goya adobo seasoning to taste
Tomato sauce 2/3 cup
Pimento stuffed green olives, small ½ cup
Dried Italian seasoning 2 tsp
Cilantro, fresh chopped 1 bunch
Bay leaves 4 each
Pigeon peas, drained and rinsed 2 x 15oz cans
- Bring large caldero (or pot) to medium heat, add the olive oil, ham, and sofrito. Stir constantly for approximately 5 minutes until fragrant but not browned.
- Add the sazon and tomato sauce. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Add the chicken stock, Italian seasoning, cilantro, bay leaves, and olives. Bring to a boil.
- Taste saltiness of liquid and if it needs seasoning use the goya adobo seasoning until it is well seasoned.
- Add the pigeon peas, and bring pot back to a boil.
- Add the rice, and stir until rice and peas are thoroughly combined.
- All the rice to absorb visible liquid, uncovered.
- Once visible liquid has absorbed, cover the pot, reduce the heat, and allow rice to cook on low for 20-25 minutes.